Assignment 3: Critical Reflection


Module Learning
At the start of the course I expressed that I had two goals. The first goal was to increase my confidence and skills in expressing myself verbally, and the second was to improve my English language writing skills. Through this module, I feel that I have achieved one of my two goals, which is to improve my writing skills, as I was able to practice writing though the written assignments given to me. In terms of writing, I have learnt valuable skills and techniques such as paraphrasing, summarizing and citations. In terms of expressing myself verbally, I have learnt valuable presentation skills such as proper positioning, having eye contact with the audience and making good use of the presentation slides. In terms of building on my communication, I have spoken to small groups of people on a regular basis, which I believe improves my communication skills as I have to speak with clarity so that my ideas are properly conveyed. Even though I have learnt valuable communication skills from this module, there is more than I can do be an effective communicator. For example, I could read professional articles or journals to improve my grammar and how my ideas can be written with greater impact and clarity.

Project Learning
Through the research project, I have realized the importance of effective communication among team members. I have also learnt more about myself and others through working with my teammates. I realized that I am not a very vocal person and tend to follow the direction of others, instead of expressing what I really feel when it comes to group projects. However, I will do my part once the decision has been made. I have also learnt the strength and weaknesses of my team members. For example, certain team members are better at presentations while others are better at writing reports. This has made me realize that harnessing on the strength of each team member is just as important as having an interesting idea, as a team is strongest when each team member is able is able to utilize their strengths to benefit the group. This is a valuable lesson that I learnt which I can definitely use in future group projects and in my career after my studies. I should also be more vocal in expressing how I really feel in future projects so that I can communicate more effectively with my team members, which is an important aspect of teamwork.

Presentation Showcase
The presentation showcase was meaningful as I had the opportunity to watch different groups presenting different topics. Among the topics presented, I felt that team recyclables had the best presentation. I felt that they are topic was important and relevant as single use plastic is something that is used very often, and the pollution that it brings is very harmful for the environment. The team’s solution was also simple yet effective, which I felt was important when it comes to persuading people to invest in an idea.  In terms of the team’s delivery, the team presented their topic in a professional and interesting manner, while maintaining a smooth transition among each team member. Each team member also spoke with clarity and at a comfortable speed for the audience. The team also made use of the space appropriately and even used a quote to begin their presentation, which was unique. Overall, the team’s meaningful topic and effective solution, coupled with an excellent delivery, made their presentation a successful presentation. In terms of improvements, I felt that the team could increase their enthusiasm and energy while presenting, through their body language and voice, in order to make their presentation more effective and stronger.


615 words

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assignment 1: Formal letter

Task 3: The Importance of communication skills for engineers response

Draft #1 Annotated Summary: In vitro meat production: Challenges and benefits over conventional meat production