Assignment 1: Formal letter


Subject: Formal self-introduction

Dear Professor Blackstone,
I am writing this letter to introduce myself to you. I graduated from Ngee Ann Polytechnic in 2017, with a Diploma in Clean Energy Management. In my course, I had to opportunity to experience and witness for myself how engineering could be used in sustainability in an innovative way, through the implementation of sustainable engineering solutions. For example, one of the projects that my group and I were tasked to do, was to research about a place in Singapore which uses sustainable features and create a video about it.

In terms of my weakness in communication, I have difficulty in expressing myself verbally at times, as I am an introvert. This is why giving oral presentation is a challenge for me as I tend to lose confidence in front of a crowd, even when I am clear of the topic that I am about to present.

In terms of my strength in communication, my friends think that I have a good sense of humor. Even though I am not the most talkative person in my social circle of friends, I feel that I am able to bring joy and laughter into the conversation, through my unique sense of humor.

My goals for this module are to firstly, increase my confidence and skills in expressing myself verbally, especially in the area of giving oral presentations. I feel that it is an important skill that would benefit me greatly in the future. Secondly, I wish to improve my English language writing skills, in terms of grammar and sentence structuring. This is so that my ideas can be more coherent and meaningful.

Best regards
Christopher Chan
SIE2016 Group 6


Commented on Joe, Angelina and Zaki's blog

Comments

  1. Hi Chris! To start of, kudos to you for completing the formal letter:) I feel that your content is well written as examples were given to support your point. Besides that, your letter is well organized as there is a specific topic to elaborate on for each paragraph. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Christopher,

    Interesting read. I relate to you on the introvert part. I am also from Ngee Ann Polytechnic. "I had to opportunity" can be "an opportunity". You can give a specific example of a time where you experienced your weakness and how it has affected you and your surroundings which caused you to want to work on it. It will help on the content. Other than that, great structure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Zaki, I didn't realize that at first so thanks for pointing that out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chris,

    Good content for the formal letter, was thinking it would be better if you included some examples for your communication strengths and weaknesses. Maybe you can also consider on mentioning why you chose to enter SIE?

    In terms of weakness, I do have one similar to yours. Let's work hard together to improve ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Chris,

    Thanks for this clear, concise and fairly complete letter. You attend to all the areas of the assignment, and you give some detail on your poly studies. What might have been a good follow up to that would have been an explanation of how you were inspired to pursue a degree in the SIE course (Joe mentioned this as well).

    For the communication strengths and weaknesses, you provide clear explanations. I can already attest to your assertion that you have a good sense of humour!

    As for goals, by now you probably know that we will be addressing each of the areas that you want to make advances in. You also mention language use, but for this letter, your grammar looks quite good to me

    I look forward to reading more of your writing this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Task 3: The Importance of communication skills for engineers response

Draft #1 Annotated Summary: In vitro meat production: Challenges and benefits over conventional meat production